TMSTH Area Forum Meeting - 24th February 2022

Item 1: Introductions

Item 2: David Sidwick, Dorset Police and Crime Commissioner, talks about his priorities for his term of office (2021-2025)

Item 3: Conor O’Luby, Forum Secretary, discusses the BCP Local Plan process

Item 4: Further updates, including local councillors’ news and response to public questions

Click on the A icon to view a PDF of the agenda.

Committee members present: Jean, Ray, Conor

1. Dorset Police and Crime Commissioner (P&CC) David Sidwick (see also accompanying presentation)

Dorset Police and Crime Commissioner TMSTH Area Forum 24th June 2022 Presentation - PDF

Explains why he wanted to do the job. What are his priorities?

“I worked in a large pharmaceutical company, then started own business in Bournemouth in a strategic role in health services.

Someone tried to defraud me over the phone in 2018. Then I started seeing anti-social behaviour appearing in Echo, across Dorset. One example, shop-lifting in my local high street. There was an idea to merge Dorset and Devon Police. I asked many questions about this potential merger (which didn’t happen). My wife told me to stop moaning and do something, so I decided to put myself forward as Dorset P&CC

I am your representative, I hold the Police to account on your behalf. Before the pandemic, I held talks to audiences of 6-300.


Police and Crime Plan very important as is victim support. I also have to lobby for funding for the Police (the ‘Precept’).

I knew from research that anti-social behaviour wasn’t a priority for the police. I pushed them to start operation Relentless. We funded 10 areas across the county. I visited one yesterday that helps find young people better things to do.

E-scooters: what are we doing about them? We have an education campaign, we are seizing numbers of scooters. We want to promote role-models for young people. We now have three troops of Police cadets.

Priority 2: more visible policing. 44 out of 50 new Dorset police officers will be front-line, community officers. We need the police to engage more with the public.

Priority 3: high harms e.g. child abuse, drugs. Before Xmas the 10 year drug strategy was released. First time for long term vision and it involves tough enforcement and proper rehabilitation as well offering alternatives and better education. We need to tell young people about the harms e.g. drug abuse linked to cancer, genetic damage.

My office funds a vulnerability lawyer and Operation Vigilant is aimed at reducing sexual assaults in the night-time economy.

Hare coursing is an issue out in the countryside, people betting online.

We need to put victims first

Business Crime Strategy regular meetings.

Hate Crime affects a lot of people and a lot of people don’t report, especially people with disabilities.

Making every penny count: I had to find a new Chief Constable very quickly, I wanted to find someone with a lot of different experience. He/she had to fit in with my plan to reduce anti-social behaviour, the new one has a strategic plan coming out very soon that fits with my vision.


Q - Traffic. Castle Lane is very busy. When is the council going to stop development that causes more traffic? It may not be your priority. My daughter was a victim of a phone scam. You never see a police car.

P&CC - This is for the Council, but you should see more police out and about. I can’t speak for the issues round local economy, perhaps local councillors can talk about this.

Chair - At the last meeting we had Julian McLaughlin from BCP Council to talk about alternatives to the car.

Q - I saw open dealing drugs at the Triangle recently.

P&CC - You are right. We have had a culture of nine years (in the police) of not taking this matter seriously. I want to help change this.

Q - Rat running through Throop Village. Speed limit 20 mph, pot holes in road, horses in road. We have asked the Police to provide a Community Speed Watch. But they have not responded. Also, why do we have to wait 30 minutes to get through on the phone to 101? You put the phone down.

P&CC - Alison Moore (policewoman at the meeting) can help with this scheme. I will give you my card, if you don’t get anywhere, contact me. Emailing 101 is best way to get info through. We want more people to use email/online forms. We are investing in the force command centre, more telephone operators. Take noise, for example, who would you phone? Police or Council? (Council)

There have been some problems caused by pandemic –self-isolation – means that fewer people were avalable to take calls.

Q - Whitelegg Way is real problem because of the upright kerb. They will ruin your car. The Police service must get frustrated because they can’t get through.

Police Officer Ellie Reynard says that the Whitelegg Way is an issue.

Q - What is Dorset doing to address the hate crimes issue that the Met Police have been facing?

P&CC - Absolutely fair question. I scrutinise the force every week, I raise community concerns. I have a formal challenge going in writing to the police, challenged about betting, internal monitoring to make sure that police officers aren’t doing what they shouldn’t be doing. Also challenged about stalking and racism.

We talk about stop and search a lot. Disproportionate number of searches on black people. I expect police to address drug issues and other issues. I don’t see Charing Cross in Dorset.

Q - I gather the national funding we are 40 out of 41 as far as funding is concerned. Is this going to change?

P&CC - Very unhappy about this. Funding set-up favours metropolitan forces, partly based on the number of pubs and bars. Nationwide, we have 3 P&CCs who want to change this set-up. I am optimistic that we can eventually change the funding formula, but it will take time. We need the precept and it had to be the full amount to fund our officers.

PC Ellie Reynard - Hopefully Operation Uplift will bring success, we are very busy but you must report anti-social behaviour to us. Unfortunately we don’t get the reports. You have a PCSO that covers you area. We need this to gather intelligence.

Q - How much reporting is there done on Queens Park?

ER - We liaise with school frequently, one issue is kids at Castlepoint. I’ve been there every night this week.

Brin (local postmaster) - Anti-social behaviour, shifting from one area to another. Last Friday there was a break-in at the Doctor’s surgery took 9 minutes to get through on 999. Also Castlepoint is a magnet for anti-social behaviour, I want my local area to be trouble-free.

P&CC - I am grumpy about this. This is not acceptable, I’ll give you my card. We can’t just shift problems from Poole Bus station to here. I’ve heard about a school in the local area where 8 year olds are taking about dealing drugs as their plan.

I’m meeting Secretary of State for Education tomorrow, we need to help stop kids going down these paths.

Cllr Derek Bothwick - I managed to get a speed camera next to Cooper Dean roundabout. My request to Police was successful had full cooperation.

Chair - We do have a Youth Club in Townsend. It helps keeps kids off the street.

Ellie Reynard - The Youth Centre is very good, some of the kids gather at Castlepoint because it’s lit up.

2. Chair talks about the Forum’s future

Cllr Derek Borthwick – Mike Greene is the person to go to re the funding of the Forum.

KInson is as big as we are. We are not getting our money’s worth, we have the population.

Ian Clarke – costs of hiring the hall, leaflets, website.

Chair - It’s difficult to say what’s the most effective way of reaching out to people.

Julie Anne - To be fair, when there is a contentious issue the number of people is much greater e.g. Hick’s Farm

Alan Goddard - Facebook social media is very useful, we can explore. Perhaps had two forums instead of three April and September on better nights people more likely to come out. Ray, Jean and Conor keep this thing running.

Brin - Sponsorship as a possibility for funding

David Sidwick - Places like Co-Op and other places e.g. Castlepoint. Worth your while talking to these people.

Wendy - The Council has a mission to consult, I was there at the beginning in 2004. There are so many things that we are asked to pay for but we are a council-backed organisation. Derek please tell the Council that we need help to continue.

Put it on the radio

Derek - no increase in rates this year and hopefully next year too. This means that BCP has had one of the lowest Council tax rates. I would have been better able to talk about these issues if I had received an agenda beforehand.

Wendy - BCP Call for Sites that is the whole of our Green Belt. It’s been bought up by developers, speculative companies. How much is this administration going to support out Green Belt?

Derek - Government has ordered a certain number of affordable homes to be built. 15,000 is the number and if we don’t build them we will be forced to build more. People are entitled to a roof over our heads.

Wendy - What is the council doing to challenge these figures? What is the council going to do to support the Green Belt? We need to get numbers under control.

Derek - we have a consultation until 25th March i.e. BCP Local Plan. I will challenge.

Julie Anne - I would urge people to have a look at the Local Plan and respond. The council seems to be suggesting that Conservation Areas are under threat. Hick’s Farm, A338-Wessex Fields Link still an issue. It’s a bit complex to fill out the online consultation.

Derek - asked for a plan of local development, but have only been given a low-resolution map.

Ian - The plan goes up to 2038. It’s very significant and people should respond to the consultation.

Speaker - I thought that the minister for housing was looking at reducing the numbers of housing required. I’m not sure if you can get a full paper copy for free.

Derek - Write to

3. Conor talks about the BCP Local Plan process

The BCP Local Plan


BCP Council is currently in the process of drawing up a new Local Plan, with public consultation on the ‘Issues and Options’ document open until the 25th March.

What is a Local Plan?

Required by government, a Local Plan provides a framework of policies and site allocations to guide future development. This is to help meet identified needs for new homes, jobs, infrastructure and other supporting services within a local authority area. It is also used to provide protections for local nature, heritage and community assets.

The BCP Local Plan will replace the current Local Plans adopted by the three preceding councils.

How does the process take place?

The Local Plan process takes place over a number of years and involves evidence gathering, public consultation and finally the creation of policies which will be voted on in the council. If accepted, they will influence the way development does or does not go ahead.

In 2019, the Council issued a ‘Call for Sites’. This was an opportunity for developers to put forward sites for consideration e.g. for housing, for business development etc.

In early 2022, the ‘Issues and Options’ process was opened to public consultation. This allows local residents to have their say on the emerging Local Plan priorities.

Associated documents can be found at:

There is also a podcast on the Local Plan process at:

Next steps

Due to the pandemic, the dates given in the original timetable are no longer valid. However, the following steps should take place over approximately 1 year.

Publish the draft BCP Local Plan – the draft plan is published for further public participation before being submitted for examination in Public.

Submission - formal submission of the draft plan for examination.

Examination in Public - work will continue on assessing responses and the evidence base on range of planning topics, the plan will be tested by an Independent Inspector at examination who will test the plan for ‘soundness’ and make recommendations on possible amendments prior to adoption.


Why should I get involved?

The policies that are adopted in the Local Plan will impact on many areas of life. They may make development and the type of development more or less likely in certain areas of the town (the ‘Call for Sites’ document will show you what areas have been put forward by developers). In order to ensure that your views are taken into account, you should participate in the current public consultation.

Where can I find out more about the Local Plan process?

I have given you some links to visit. You can also go to your local library and read the consultation document.

The Council are also holding a number of drop-in events:

Bournemouth Library: Monday 28 February- 10am-3pm
Christchurch Library: Tuesday 1 March- 9.30am-2.30pm
Broadstone Library: Wednesday 2 March- 10am-12pm
Rossmore Library: Wednesday 2 March- 1pm-4pm

They are also planning an online webinar on Thursday 3 March: 6-7pm.

You can submit your views by email or by post, the address details can be found at the above sites.

The TMSTH Area Forum – a brief history

The Forum was set up in 2004 to provide residents of the TMSTH area with a way in which they could both learn more about local developments and become involved in influencing them, either directly or through their elected representatives. There are about 8,500 homes and 17,500 residents.

Many different issues have been discussed at the Forum’s quarterly meetings over the near 20 years of its existence and some of these issues return frequently to the agenda. The Local Green Belt, the A338-Wessex Fields Link, the creation of BCP Council, Hick’s Farm and Castlepoint refurbishment works have all been on recent agendas.

A wide range of speakers have been invited to discuss these and other issues, including elected representatives and officers of the council, as well as representatives of other organisations, such as the Police and Crime Commissioner and Youth Workers from YMCA Bournemouth.

In addition to these talks, the meeting provides residents with the possibility of questioning their elected local representatives (there are currently three BCP ward councillors and six Throop and Holdenhurst Village Parish councillors).

How is the Forum run?

Full details of our constitution can be read here

However, there is a committee which currently consists of Chair (Ray O’Luby), Secretary (Conor Niall O’Luby) and Treasurer (Jean Kirk). We are all volunteers and all reside in the Forum area. We would like to thank everyone who has given us extra help.

Over the years, the Forum has received a grant from the local authority to cover the costs of running the organisation. These costs include, for example, the website, hall hire, insurance, leaflet and banner printing. The Forum’s accounts are audited every year.

The future

It is currently unclear whether or not we will continue to receive a grant from the council. We have written to them, setting out the many benefits of its work and are waiting for a reply from the officers in charge. Suffice to say, removal of or any significant reduction in the grant will mean that the Forum will no longer be able to function, either in its current form, or at all.


Your being here shows that you value the Forum’s work and we would very much like to hear your ideas as to how we can sustain it for the future.