TMSTH Area Forum Meeting 24th February 2011
  • Item 1
  • AGM and Election of Officers
  • Item 2
  • South Western Ambulance Service
  • Chris Peacock, East Dorset Locality Manager
  • Item 3
  • Local Transport Plan Consultation
  • Ian Kalra, Transportation Services Manager
  • Item 4
  • 2011 Census
  • Jackie Custard, 2011 Census area Manager
  • Item 5
  • Updates
  • River Crossing to Hurn
  • Traffic Noise Action Plans
  • Protection of the Green Belt
  • Item 6
  • Residents Question Time
  • Item 7
  • Any Other Business
  • Item 8
  • Date of Next Forum Meeting - 2nd June 2011
Click on the A icon to view the agenda as delivered by Premier Distribution.

Item 1 - AGM and Election of Officers

The financial statement was available on the notice board and on the web-site.

Chairman confirmed all present Committee Members are willing to stand next year in their posts. This was agreed by Forum. Committee Members are:-

  • Chairman
  • Vice Chairman
  • Treasurer
  • Secretary
  • Committee Member
  • Committee Member
  • Committee Member
  • Dominic Coleman
  • Ray O'Luby
  • Marion Oliver
  • Wendy Sharp
  • Les Deller
  • Chris Channell
  • Anne-Marie Nesfield

Forum urgently needs new Committee members.

Item 2 - South Western Ambulance Service

• Chris Peacock, East Dorset Locality Manager

Chris briefly outlined his role in the South Western Ambulance Service. He deals with complaints and compliments to the Service, TV interviews and he is an active paramedic and training officer.

The control room at St. Leonards takes 300 call per day, rising to 350-400 during the holiday season. After dialling 999 and stating which service is required, callers are asked for their phone number (so that they can be contacted if cut off) and location, at which point the process to dispatch an ambulance is started. One operator takes the call and a second person is taking the address. Government regulations state there must be an ambulance on line within 45 seconds of a call. Calls are “triaged” (whoever they are from, even G.P.s) and basic first aid advice is given. If the situation is life-threatening, i.e. with breathing or circulatory problems, they have Category A status and an ambulance should attend within 8 minutes. The chance of survival is greatly increased if the Defibrillator is deployed within 8 minutes of cardiac arrest.

The public sees Paramedics in their vehicles in lay-bys and it is the Control Room which determines the best place for them to be, e.g. Redlands, Bear Cross, etc. Crews remain in place for up to 60 minutes and then rotate. The Service covers, Cornwall, Devon, Somerset and Dorset. Cars facilitate getting to the patient within 8 minutes and motorbikes are not used as they are too risky. The Helicopter, which is a charity, is shared with Somerset.

Challenges are the Air Show, where spectators are spread over a wide area (not enclosed) as opposed to the Steam Fair, where they are enclosed. It is a busy service anyway and has a need to be extra resilient. The Olympics are 4 years ahead and planning for the extra demand is already taking place. Hurn Airport is getting bigger and if an aircraft warning light comes on, an ambulance must be called. For a large incident, ambulances are used from the South Central Ambulance Service (Berkshire, Buckinghamshire, Hampshire and Oxfordshire) St John’s Ambulance and the Red Cross.

Paramedics undergo a 2 year University course (or a 4 year Open University course) and the demographic has changed. It is moving away from the person who works their way up or ex-service personnel and crews are generally now younger.

Question 1:

What cuts if any is the Ambulance Service facing in the next 4 years?


There is a need to save £23 million as a Trust, but these will not be front-line. Dorset and the South West have merged and there are 11 trusts in the country sharing one Chief Executive. There is a 6% rise in demand year on year. There are now Emergency Care Practitioners who reduce the number of patients who have to go to hospital making the service more efficient.

Question 2:

Are you confident this is achievable?


Yes. There are 3 people in the service of Chris’s rank and one is leaving. He will not be replaced, which will increase the workload.

Question 3:

Are you in favour of “Targets.” Does the 8 minutes requirement create pressure and result in mistakes?


Before ambulances are deployed, the crews have a 10 minute window to check their kit. New clinical targets are coming in in April, e.g. Peak Flow measurement for Asthma cases. These will be good for patients and therefore good for the ambulance service.

Question 4:

How many calls do not need an ambulance?


50% of patients are not taken into hospital, e.g. they may just need picking up off of the floor.


But you wouldn’t need an ambulance just for that?


Yes, they must be assessed by a Paramedic.

Question 5:

In the summer, how many calls are alcohol related?


Bournemouth has a reputation for Stag and Hen Nights. There is now a “Safe Bus” in Bournemouth, where people can be given stitches, etc, without having to go to hospital.

Question 6:

How much does "paperwork" hamper your work?


It does not hamper the work. Every patient is given a record sheet and it is needed to prove the crews actions. Paperwork is there for a reason. The Service is looking at electronic options, but they are expensive.

A Forum Member and the Forum Chair thanked Chris and the Ambulance Service for the wonderful work they do.

Item 3 - Local Transport Plan Consultation

• Ian Kalra Transportation Services Manager

Ian Kalra explained the Local Transport Plan Preferred Strategy Consultation ends on 28 February, 2011 and must be collated and go to Government by 31st March. He introduced Rick Clayton, Project manager, South East Dorset Transport Study who would give a presentation and Philip Shearing, Local Transport Plan Process Manager, Bournemouth Borough Council.

Rick Clayton showed a map of the South East Study Area and explained there is a need to come up with a long-term transport strategy for Poole, Bournemouth and Dorset.

TMSTH Area Forum Minutes 24th February 2011 - Item 3 Map

He explained it is a 7 step process and all stages have rounds of consultation. We have now reached the Draft Preferred Strategy stage. (Presentation slides in blue)

Strategy development and consultation

Stage 1 - Problems and Issues and Stage 2 - Option Generation

= Stage A: Problems and Issues (Jun - Sep 2009)

Stage 3 - Scenario Testing

= Stage B: Initial Scenarios (Jan 2010)

Stage 4 - Strategy Options and Stage 5 - Appraisal

= Stage C: Strategy Options (May - Jul 2010)

Stage 6 - Preferred Strategy and Stage 7 - Implementation Plan

= Stage D: Preferred Strategy (Jan - Feb 2011)

The emerging strategy will require additional technical work and funding, in accordance with the Government White Paper.

Implementation of “Smarter Choices” can result in a 5 - 10% shift from car use and there is therefore an emphasis on these:-

Smarter Choices

  • Important element of the strategy, especially in the short to medium term
  • Limited infrastructure, but significant local authority resources required to achieve potential e.g. Sutton
  • Personalised travel planning/travel awareness
  • Cycling - cycle network, cycle parking, etc.
  • Walking - crossings, footpaths, access to stations, etc.
  • Travel plans - Workplace, Residential, Airport, Stations, Leisure facilities
  • Promote public transport use/enhance information
  • Car clubs/car sharing
  • Measures for visitors as well as residents

Short Term measures go up to 2020, including room for improvements in the bus network, the A35 Poole/Bournemouth/Christchurch corridor and a North Bournemouth corridor. In the next 2 years, schemes will include the Canford Bottom roundabout, improvements by the Highways Agency for the Olympics and the Swanage to the main railway network connection, which is already happening.

Short/Medium Term Measures (up to 2020)

  • Express buses to outlying areas
  • Smartcard ticketing on buses and trains
  • Increased rail frequency between Wareham and Brockenhurst
  • Community services in remote areas
  • Quality travel information along routes, in public areas, offices, etc.
  • Integrated Transport Authority
  • Junction improvements at key locations
  • Joint traffic control centre
  • Measures to promote alternative fuel vehicles
  • Designated lorry routes and freight map
  • Review town centre parking spaces and long stay charges in line with future demand
  • Better driver information (VMS and Internet)

The Study is recommending:-

  • Improvement to the highways
  • Additional road capacity Blackwater to Hurn for the employment park
  • Expansion of bus corridors with bus priority measures, parking rationalisation and getting rid of pinch points. If there is local improvement this will go on to the wider network


  • Park and Rail
  • Transport Hub at the Airport
  • Community responses
  • Smart car ticketing
  • Increased rail frequency
  • Increased information for public transport on the roads and using the internet

To implement these measures, it is recommending an Integrated Transport Authority with Bournemouth, Poole and Dorset. Many junctions need improvement and incentives "carrots" include a joint traffic control centre, alternative fuel and lorry routing. A "stick" is restrictions on town centre parking, particularly long-stay for commuters, to encourage alternative modes of travel.

Long Term measures: If everything comes forward up to 2020, there will be extensions to corridors in the wider area, with major road building, e.g. dualling the A31 Amesford/Wimborne/Ferndown

Beyond 2026 recommendations include:-

  • The Dorset Area Rapid Transport System (DARTS)
  • An East/West Road scheme, Blackwater to the A31
  • And an aspirational Tram system (which is being trialled in the UK)

Dorset Area Rapid Transit System (DARTS)

  • Tram - train vehicles using heavy rail network and on street running to link Bournemouth Town centre
  • Link with Bus Showcase Corridors
  • Possible future extensions
  • Ambitious scheme to be progressed towards end of strategy period.
  • Established European examples include Karlsruhe, Germany - UK trial underway
TMSTH Area Forum Minutes 24th February 2011 - Item 3 Tram

Park and Ride?

  • Transport interchange/hub at Airport
  • Park and Rail - Holton Heath, Wareham, Hinton Admiral


Potential bus based sites

  • North of Bournemouth
  • Riverside
  • Mannings Heath
  • Creekmoor
  • Tie in with Bus Showcase Corridors
  • Review town centre parking charges for commuters / long stay

In summary, a Transport Model and Testing and Appraisal of historical and new ideas have been completed. A recommended Transport Strategy and Implementation Plan will set out the priorities and delivery strategy for infrastructure investments up to 2026, a programme for future Major Scheme Business Case(s) to Department for Transport and the required evidence base for funding streams. This will form the basis for the next Local Transport Plan 3, which is due to be published at the end of March.

Consultation forms for this Study were available at Forum and on line.

Question 1:

This is a 15 year plan. Over the last 5 years there have been "2026" discussions with businesses and residents but most of the ideas put forward have not been implemented, e.g. Creekmoor park and ride is closed and others do not work, Christchurch is out, many businesses asked for the Town Centre to have a one-way system, but none is in local government plans.


The purpose of the Study is to set out a strategy to deliver in a better joined up way. The Town Centre Area Action Plan is looking at a possible one-way system - this Study is more strategic.

Forum Member: Without local infrastructure, the "strategic" will not work - none combined or working together.

Question 2:

If you are so keen on improving infrastructure, why did Bournemouth sell its Yellow Buses?


Buses were generally deregulated since the early 80s. Now they are run on a commercial basis.

Cllr Rey:

This was a big mistake. Throop fought and fought against it.

Question 3:

Funding: Is it ever going to happen? The Castle Lane Relief Road has been in plans for 50 years and not built because of funding.


Funding is a crucial element. It generally comes from the Department of Transport, plus local funding. The Study sets the framework and will have to be reviewed and revisited.

Question 4:

Park and Ride schemes are fine in principle, but they lose money and are a drain on resources. Park and Ride in Northbourne would not be used.


It is suggested they come forward. They work well in Cambridge and Oxford where there is a short supply of town centre parking. Bournemouth has a lot of parking in the Town Centre, but over the life of the plan this may change with development and employment and congestion may result. It will be kept as an option. It does not stand alone as Bournemouth has many small centres.

Question 5:

Reducing parking would be detrimental to the Town Centre.


Yes, it needs a balance. The intention is not to reduce parking, but to reduce journeys at peak times.

Question 6:

Have you looked into bus services, e.g. SmartCards.


Yes, the SmartCard, like London’s Oyster Card. Also possible mobile phone technology - measures to make journeys quicker and seamless. The Government has made funding available as grants to move it forward.

Question 7:

Troika plans for Park and Ride at Riverside will massacre the Green Belt. It is not wanted. We do not need another junction between the Cooper Dean and Blackwater with even more deaths and accidents on that stretch of road. People will be driving in anyway. The roundabout is right by the cattle crossing.


Park and Ride there will come forward as planning permission has been granted and it may come forward.

Question 8:

How have the plans been put forward, e.g. Park and Ride in winter does not work, but what incentives, "carrots," could be offered, i.e. if you use the facility, do you get something back?


It would only come forward if future needs demand it and also as part of a package.

Question 9:

Castle Lane Relief Road - We were told we would have a definitive answer as to its achievability or usefulness in part on in whole, in the South East Dorset Transport Study, but it is not even mentioned in any of the documents released for consultation. We are told it must stay in the Local Transport Plan as it is in the Core Strategy and in must stay in the Core Strategy as it is in the Local Transport Plan! The huge cost of spanning the river twice and the mile and a quarter of flood plain will never be afforded in the life of this plan - surely the whole point of a plan is that it has an expectancy of being achievable in the time set out. The route of the Castle Lane Relief Road will not disappear as it is in the Green Belt, but we are always left with this threat hanging over our heads. If it is not achievable, why is money constantly being wasted, putting it back and back into these plans? The same applies to the above mentioned “long term” measure - a road from Parley Cross to the A31 which is all through flood plain and over the river.


The appraisal of the Castle Lane Relief Road should be released in about a month. It may be the more expensive scheme is preferable, even if it is across the flood plain. It is your chance to respond. If that road scheme came forward following increased employment and houses, etc., if would be after all else is done, e.g. buses, etc. This is just a first stage assessment, which is why we are consulting.

Question 10:

What is the point of making the Spur Road to a durability standard then reducing it to 40 mph?


It is a safety issue. The design standard is such that it is safer at 40, rather than 50 or 70 mph. It is still in the trial period.

Item 4 - 2011 Census

• Jackie Custard, 2011 Census area Manager

The 2011 Census for England and Wales takes place on 27 March 2011, with the packs arriving by post from 7th March. A purple touring bus will be seen at various locations to advertise and offer help and advice.

A census is a rich source of information and Queen Victoria, Admiral Nelson and Jayne Austin are to be found on them. They are old, basic and essential - the Ancient Egyptians carried out census. They are used to provide services by establishing the number of people there are and what their needs are.

Power point presentation reproduced in purple


  • A count of every person
  • every town, every village, every street
TMSTH Area Forum Minutes 24th February 2011 - Item 4 Houses


  • Every 10 years - since 1801
  • The next census is on 27 March 2011
  • Everybody must complete a questionnaire


TMSTH Area Forum Minutes 24th February 2011 - Item 4 People
  • Understand how many people live here
  • Share public money
  • Plan public services
  • Housing
  • Schools
  • Roads
  • Hospitals


TMSTH Area Forum Minutes 24th February 2011 - Item 4 Family
  • A count of all the people
  • The quality of housing
  • Family structures
  • Are the houses the right size?
  • Understanding what may be needed in the future
  • School places
  • Services for old people


TMSTH Area Forum Minutes 24th February 2011 - Item 4 Couple
  • More older (85+) people
  • People moving into and out of the country
  • Different family structures
  • Internet
  • Less trust of officials
  • Less willing to comply


TMSTH Area Forum Minutes 24th February 2011 - Item 4 Graph
  • Central and local government
  • Companies who provide services
  • Fire service
  • Ambulances
  • Charities
  • Businesses
  • Supermarkets
  • Water companies
  • People interested in history


TMSTH Area Forum Minutes 24th February 2011 - Item 4 Form
  • Forms will arrive in the post during March
  • Big envelope with purple "C"
  • Questionnaire (Form)
  • Information leaflet
  • Envelope for return
  • Fill in and post back


  • Fill in on-line
  • Census Day is 27th March



  • A census counts everybody and describes society
  • A census collects and shares facts about society's make-up
  • The census has been held every 10 years since 1801.
  • The next census in England and Wales is on 27 March 2011


You need to take part because:

  • The services and facilities your community and family uses can be identified
  • Census data describes areas and highlights local need for services like schools, roads and hospitals
  • Census statistics help work out the amount of money given to provide facilities in communities


You need to take part because:

  • You will know that you have been counted and played your part in helping tomorrow take shape
  • Your ancestors will able to trace you!
  • Specific needs of your community can be recognised
  • Nationally
  • Locally


  • Personal census information is not shared with anybody - only the numbers are shared.
  • Individuals cannot be identified from the census data that is released.
  • The information collected is kept confidential and is protected by law
  • Census records remain confidential for 100 years


  • The form is easy to complete.
  • There is online help at
  • Help includes large print forms, translation booklets in 56 languages and British Sign Language video guides
  • Telephone helpline and text relay also available
  • Census collectors will call and provide help if needed



  • Tell local people
  • Tell them now that the census is coming
  • Tell them to expect the census form to arrive in the post during March
  • Remind everyone to fill it in around census weekend 26/27 March
  • Encourage everyone to look at our website
  • Encourage anyone who needs it to ask for help


TMSTH Area Forum Minutes 24th February 2011 - Item 4 Postbox
  • Look for a census drop-in completion event at a library, or community centre
  • Help for those needing support
  • Help with language
  • On line help
  • Telephone helpline


The Census can look a little daunting as it is 32 pages long, but this is enough for 6 people. It should take approximately 8 minutes to fill out on line from 7th March, 2011.

Is it worth it? Yes!

Will the next one happen in 2021? Probably, but it may be electronically.

No-one gets any personal information - not the Police, not the Immigration Department, etc.

There will be a team of 250 people locally to assist and they will knock on the doors of those people who have not returned their forms, after 6th April 2011.

Question 1:

What are the penalties for non-compliance?


If a partial form is returned, it will be assessed to see if it is sufficient. If not, they will be asked to supply more information. If they can’t do it, it will be accepted, but they will be helped. A total refusal could receive a £1000 fine and if they still refuse, jail with a criminal record.

Question 2:

Because of the wording of the 2001 Census, the apparent number of religious people in the UK was cut to just 15%. How will the accurate figure be ensured?


It is not for officers to tell someone how to fill in the form; it is the resident's prerogative.


It is pointless asking questions if the answers do not reflect the facts. If funding hangs on census responses, how can give out that funding if you do not have the statistics?


Nothing to add to first answer. The form has been subject to consultation and the "least worst" questionnaire produced. It is never going to be perfect.

Question 3:

If people have Students staying with them - some in the UK for 9 months at a time, do they fill in the census?


Yes - if they are in the UK for 3 months or more, as they are using the services.

Item 5 - Updates from previous meetings

• River Crossing to Hurn

Cllr Whittaker was unable to attend the Meeting, but asked that his item in the Throop and Muscliff Newsletter Winter 2011 be read out:-

"Throop River Crossing (Bridge)

In 2007 Bournemouth won a £300,000 lottery bid towards providing a new river bridge crossing at Throop. A number of routes were investigated, eventually the decision came down in favour of Pig-Shoot Lane, this would entail a bridge for horses, riders/cyclists/walkers to have easy access via Hurn Village. Such funding had to be matched with other contributions and this lottery fund was only available until 2013, unfortunately over the past years the joint meetings with a number of interested parties, landownership issues, local politics, planning issues, all has not gone well, with many hurdles being put in the way to achieve this crossing. Meantime, costs increase, Dorset County Council who were to provide a large funding allocation towards the project have withdrawn this scheme as they consider it to be high risk. Sadly after now some 20 years of many endless meetings at county hall attended by Ron and other interested groups since 1992, many hundred of walkers/horse riders will be extremely disappointed. SUSTRANS who have been the major player here are to meet to see how Bournemouth can secure the lottery funds remain in Bournemouth."

Also: an email from Dorset County Council on 2nd February, 2011, states:-

"Whilst the Pigshoot Lane crossing is no longer going ahead, Dorset County Council owns and maintains the existing Throop Mill crossing at the Environment Agency Weir about 500m to the West of Pig Shoot Lane. Dorset County Council is replacing the Bridge over the A35 at Staple Cross in Christchurch with a new bridge with DDA compliant ramps. Kevin Humphreys from Sustrans has secured agreement that the old bridge from Staple Cross will be dismantled, transported and rebuilt to replace the existing weir crossing at Throop Mill. This will be 1.9m wide with 1.6m high parapets (meeting DMRB requirements) and a significant improvement on the existing weir crossing. It is hoped that in the long term it may be possible to follow the necessary process to allow cycling on the paths to the East of this crossing and perhaps provide an alternative route to the airport."

There is no mention of time scale.

• Traffic Noise Action Plans

The Environmental Noise (England) Regulations, 2006, require Traffic Noise Action

Plans to be implemented in order to reduce the detrimental effects of Traffic Noise on residents. Strategic Noise Maps in colour have been prepared showing areas which suffer high levels of Traffic Noise, an example from Castle Lane West, Bournemouth, being shown on the notice board, while other areas can be consulted online. Some of the areas with Traffic Noise detrimental to residents are also shown on a Map as 'First Priority Locations' for the implementation of Traffic Noise Action Plans, and the Bournemouth Map can be seen also on the Notice Board.

Following a Government Consultation, it was agreed that other areas, not shown on the First Priority Locations Map, may also be entitled to the Implementation of Traffic Noise Action plans, and would be regarded also as 'Important Areas' for investigation. Residents detrimentally affected by Traffic Noise from Major Roads outside the Mapped areas may also be considered for the implementation of Traffic Noise Action Plans.

The Government Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (DEFRA) held countrywide workshops in November and December 2010 to inform Local Councils and other official groups, about the implementation of the Traffic Noise Action Plans, which are now due to be published, and investigations by Bournemouth Council are to take place, in liaison with DEFRA, regarding options to be introduced such as low noise surfaces and noise barriers.

• Protection of the Green Belt

Forum Chair recapped on the history of the threat to the Green Belt and the copy of the email below was displayed on the overhead projection:-

  • From: Mark Axford
  • Sent: 10 January 2011 17:16
  • To: Councillor Ronald Whittaker
  • Cc: Mike Holmes
  • Subject: FW: North Bournemouth and the decision of the SOS,

Dear Councillor Whittaker,

Regional Spatial Strategies (RSS’s) were made part of the development plan by the previous government in 2004. The South West RSS, which covers Bournemouth, has not been adopted and the Coalition Government has made it clear it intends to abolish the regional planning system. In July 2010 the Coalition Government announced it was revoking all regional strategies. However this action was challenged in the High Court by the developer Cala Homes and a decision in November 2010 found that the Secretary of State had acted unlawfully when he attempted to scrap RSS's.

Following that decision the Coalition Government stated that the decision 'changed very little' and that it would be introducing the Localism Bill to Parliament that would abolish regional strategies. The Department for Communities and Local Government sent a letter to all local planning authorities advising them that they should still have regard to the secretary of state's intention to revoke RSS's in any decisions they are currently taking. Cala Homes then issued a second claim seeking a declaration from the Court that the government's stated intention to revoke Regional Strategies is not a material consideration for the purposes of making planning decisions. As a result a further legal hearing is to be held into the lawfulness of the secretary of state's statement and the DCLG advice.

On the 13th December 2010 the Localism Bill was introduced to Parliament with the Bill proposing reforms to the planning system including the abolition of RSS's. On the 17th January the Bill will be subject to its second reading in Parliament, the government anticipate the Bill will gain Royal Assent in late 2011 early 2012. This leaves some local planning authorities and developers in limbo as RSS's are now material considerations in the determination of planning applications. It must be stressed however that locally the stage reached in preparing the SW RSS means that it holds no weight in determining planning applications.


Mark Axford MRTPI

Senior Planning Policy Officer, Planning and Transport, Bournemouth Borough Council

Tel: 01202 451446 - Fax: 01202 451005 - E-mail:

It is felt that the last sentence above, shown in large italics, is relevant and highly reassuring for us.

Members of the Electoral reform Society attended Forum. The Chairman pointed out their view on the Alternative Voting Referendum to take place on 5th May, is in no way endorsed by Forum, but an objection to their presence was tabled from the floor. The Chairman called for a Members' vote and as a result, the ERS representatives were asked to leave Forum.

Item 6 - Residents Question Time

Question 1:

Are the Council Officers paid to attend Forum?


Councillors believe they are on Flexi-time

Question 2:

Can we ask again about a Loop System for the hard of hearing in the hall.


Yes. Secretary will enquire and meantime, everyone will be reminded again to use the microphone properly.

Question 3:

At the last Forum, Cllr Charon announced the financial management and governance of the Council statements would be transferred to Mouchel for 10 years, but it was announced today, there were three other offers. Has Mouchel now been acquired by Costains? What about all the extra staff we were promised? Where do we stand? Also, what about accountability? The Council had £450k for disabled beach huts, etc., but this was never used. The Imax has cost £2million in administration, will take £2million to refurbish and £4.6million to take the top off. It will need rents in the region of £1million per annum just to break even. Why was the contract given to Morgan Sindall when all schemes must go out to open tender? Who will run this - the whole thing is not financially viable. It is a mess. It may be an eyesore, but...


It would be improper for Councillors to dissect the Imax transaction, but the potential is not only about revenue, but about bringing good family attractions to Bournemouth and it is hoped it will be successful. Mouchel - the Council is accountable. Any takeover must go to the shareholders first and they are stakeholders investing for long-term gain. If it were to happen, the Council can revoke the contract if they are not performing.

Cllr Rey has asked for an urgent special meeting of full Council to take it back in-house and the unions back it.

Question 4:

How is the Council allowing Castlepoint to get away with the car park? It is dangerous and an eyesore, but Marks and Spencer is threatening to sue if they lose business.


It is a private contract and the builders, contractors and insurers are fighting each other. Unless it is shut down, it will take a long time. The Council is powerless as we could not get into that kind of a legal challenge.

Question 5:

Throop Congregational Church and Manse. What is happening - the building is falling into disrepair?


Ron has written to the Church authorities, but progress has stopped. Ron has written many times, but they have disappeared; however, it will be pursued. It is difficult if they will not get back.

Question 6:

Will the invasive shrubbery over the pavement be cut back by the Council and the bill sent to the owners?


We hope to get the money back. Councillors will chase it up and get the hedge cut.

Question 7:

New houses in Shillingstone Drive - the development looks dangerous. How did it get built?


There were no objections so it went through under delegated powers. Unless Councillors get objections, they cannot do anything about it.

Item 7 - Any Other Business

Jim Atkins from Sway Gardens started the Sway Families group. It is a real world social network, bringing 50 houses together as one family and bringing neighbours together as friends.

If anyone is interested, they are getting support from the Council and Police and bringing people together with something for children through to the elderly. It is fun and friendship and doing something for where we live.

Chair: We will invite Jim back at a future date.

Cllr Rey: On behalf of all local Councillors, thanked the Committee for all their hard work and the Police for attending the Forum meetings. Congratulations to all for all their hard work and whoever gets in after the next elections will have a fantastic Area Forum to work with.

Item 8 - Date of Next Forum Meeting - Thursday 2nd June 2011